Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Random things happen on the LH, whether they are planned or not!

So life on the Logos Hope is fun, as random things can happen whether they are planned or not.

During the weekend just gone, we felt the earth move as the Philippines was hit by an earthquake. Thankfully all the ship crew are fine and nobody got physically injured. But there have been many varied experiences shared, as friends were in different places when it happened. I was on the ship and so didn't feel all that much at all! The ship did move. But for me, it felt a like mixture between the engines being tested and sailing! I am happy that I didn't see walls and floors move. That would have probably freaked me out :-) So that was an unplanned random activity!

Today I experienced and helped with a planned random activity! I say random as 'normal' people don't do things like this! Today was the day when the new recruits who are just joining the ship for their two year commitment (I was tempted to write 'sentence' then ;-)) got to carry out their Basic Safety water training. They have to learn many skills such as: how to enter a life raft, how to flip a life raft, how to make your trousers into a life jacket, how to enter the water safely from a great height while wearing a life jacket and how to keep warm in the water. These are skills we need to know when living on a ship.

Above is a photograph of people learning how to flip a raft over. It's really hard!!




And this is what a life raft looks like the right way around. 
The children thought it looked like a tent boat!


Today, I got to show some of the new children who are just joining the ship, how to wear their life jackets and move around in the water etc.

We did have lot's of fun :-) but I do pray that we never need to use these skills for a real emergency!

No comments:

Post a Comment