Friday, 21 October 2011

My heart still hurts for that nation....


When I was back in the UK in September one of the questions that lot's of people wanted to know was 'where has been my favourite place to visit this past year'. My answer was L. I think this is for a few reasons: because of the unrest in their nation after we left, having a real concern for the lives of a family I was privileged to meet, it was our first arab port (and so my first introduction to the beauty of the arab world), It was also the place (before we arrived) I was most scared to visit. We had some restrictions placed on us during our time there, to help us build bridges and relationships with the people there. A lot have totally different views of western people. They believing that we are loose and have low morals. We aimed to show them that that wasn't the case. Yes we are not perfect, but we do have something special about us.
I heard the news last night that G had been caught and was dead. To be honest I still don't know what to think. Yesterday was a year to the date since we sailed into L and his very own daughter was on our ship to open it in our official opening. I know he has done unthinkable things to his people, country and had lot's of influence on other nations in the world. I feel it for the family members who had no choice but to be part of his family. I am sure it is more than possible that they found out the news as the rest of the world did, that they saw the same photographs on the internet that I did.
I pray for this nation in the tense time that is in front of them. A friend said to me last night 'well, it can't get any worse for those people'. It's true that it can't get any worse, but it could also not change and so not get any better for them. They need the right people to help them help them build a good government. They must learn from the last four decades. I pray they can put differences aside and unite to build a great nation for their people. It's still a long road in front of them.
I thank my creator for the opportunity to visit that nation. It really has been one of the most special places I have been to and I believe a miracle that we were there at all.
 Photo was taken near to where we were berthed in our first port in L. His promises will never fail!

No comments:

Post a Comment