Maybe because my grandfather served in the second world war is why I feel like this. As a child, I loved hearing stories of him serving in distant far off lands. I used to love looking through old photos of what days were like in the UK then, seeing letters he sent back to his future bride (who is now my grandmother), being taught about the 'ration' books and how they couldn't get hold of many types of foods or clothing, of my great grandmother taking in evacuee children who were sent from big cities where bombings were happening every night.
In recent years on Remembrance Sunday I have gone with my grandfather (and many others) to the cenotaph in our city centre to pay respect to the ones who have fallen, and to pray for the ones still fighting. It may sound weird but I love going there with him...to share this with him is special!
On the ship, this occasion is obviously not recognised. I live and work with people from many countries that we have been at war with. It wouldn't be appropriate to recognise this occasion as a full ships company...But I will be taking part in my own way. I don't have a poppy but I hope to make one :-). I aim to take part in the 2 minute silence at 11 o'clock UK time...7pm my time and pray for those who are serving to try and keep peace.
I just found this poem on the internet while I was looking for items on Remembrance Day. The ship does show aspects of how the world could live in harmony. DON'T get me wrong...the ship is NOT perfect and we DO have many differences, but we are from over 45 different nations and we live and work together every day in a small community....without killing each other! It is possible to do it when we all have the same vision. We are serving Christ!
A wish..
Maybe it is pointless
To wish for lasting peace
For all mankind to lay down arms
For all fighting to cease
I could despair of seeing
Peace throughout the land
No longer hearing talk of war
Blood mixed with desert sand
We do not have the tolerance
For cultures not our own
Seeds fly on an ill wind
From beds where they are sown
Hope lies in a child's heart
Not yet turned to stone
A mind free of prejudice
A child not alone
If all children of the world
Held each others hand
They could do what we could not
Make a Brotherhood of Man.
To wish for lasting peace
For all mankind to lay down arms
For all fighting to cease
I could despair of seeing
Peace throughout the land
No longer hearing talk of war
Blood mixed with desert sand
We do not have the tolerance
For cultures not our own
Seeds fly on an ill wind
From beds where they are sown
Hope lies in a child's heart
Not yet turned to stone
A mind free of prejudice
A child not alone
If all children of the world
Held each others hand
They could do what we could not
Make a Brotherhood of Man.
Maxine Kendall
Burlington, Ontario, Canada. Maxine Kendall was born in the UK
Burlington, Ontario, Canada. Maxine Kendall was born in the UK

No comments:
Post a Comment